The summer vacation is upon us and many parents begin to ask themselves "What should we do with the kids during the long summer vacation?", "How do we survive the summer with our sanity intact?" If you too feel this way, you are not alone. We are all in the same boat.
Most parents work during the kids' summer vacation from school and kindergarten. The kids, who are used to being in a structured learning environment during the year, feel somewhat lost and don't know what to do with all their free time. Due to this fact they often make life difficult.
In order to make life easier for you and your kids during the long summer vacation, I have collected 5 useful tips that will help you get through the long summer vacation with all of your faculties intact.
Kids don't know how to organize their day by themselves. When they have too much time in their hands they don't know what to do with it. Therefore, it's a good idea to prepare a weekly schedule for them which includes an explicit routine for every day of the week, from the minute they awake until the moment they go to sleep.
A daily routine makes children feel secure as this way they know what to expect. In addition it gives the children the structure that they are lacking and are used to from school or kindergarten.
Prepare a weekly schedule (involve your children with the writing of the schedule), and hang it in an accessible place where the children can see it.
Apart from a weekly schedule, children need a social framework. You can't expect a child to be at home for such a long period of time regardless of how much you fill it with fun activities and programs.
If you can, send your child to a summer camp. There are numerous summer camps with a variety of themes, amongst which you will be able to choose the one most suited to your child.
Plan a family vacation during the kids' summer vacation. A joint family outing will enable you to refuel, accumulate experiences, to get out of the routine and enjoy some quality family time.
Sharing the burden with other parents
If you can't allow yourself the luxury of sending your kids to a summer camp, organize your own! How? Share the burden with other parents.
Organize 5 families who have children of similar ages to your own. Each day, another parent is in charge of occupying the kids with fun activities for kids.
In this way the kids will be in a structured framework and will enjoy themselves, and you will be able to continue your daily schedule even during the summer vacation.
Fun activities for kids
But still, how do you occupy the kids during the summer vacation? Which programs do you fill the weekly schedule for your child with? Well, there are lots of ideas for activities. Here are just a few of them:
- A summer workbook – spend some time revising the learning material.
- Visit your local library – Many places have special activities for kids during the summer vacation; and even if they don't, it's always recommended to spend time reading books.
- Organize arts and crafts activities for kids.
- Bake cakes/cookies with your children.
- Go to the beach /pool – There's no better place on hot summer days.
- Organize water games in your back yard.
- Take the kids to the playground.
- Arrange meetings with friends.
- Visit attractions such as the zoo, museums, etc.
- Spend time playing board games, coloring pages, playing computer games, watching TV etc.
May you all have an amazing summer vacation.
About the author Sagit Hadad: If you are interested in activities for summer vacation feel free to visit my website: http://www.activities-for-kids.net/index.html
- >How About An Affordable Family Vacation to Mexico This Summer
- >Family vacation travel guides: Top 10 tips for planning your family vacation travel on a budget
- >Vacation With Kids- Select From The Best Five
- >Guide to Keeping Kids Entertained on Holiday
- >Take The Kids On A Cruise?You Bet. Here’s A Few Tips